Saturday, August 23, 2008

Grandma Shawcroft

On Friday August 15, 2008 my Grandma Mary Caryl Shawcroft passed away. She was 92. She was born on July 11, 1916. Some of the things I remember about my Grandma and Grandpa Shawcroft were we would occasionally go down to the farm on Sundays when my Dad had to feed the cows. Sometimes we would stay for supper and I always liked that because we would have tortino pizza's and Pepsi. We were never allowed to have Pepsi at home but it seemed to be ok at their house. My grandparents always had candy sitting on their table and we would always grab a hand full on the way in and the way out. I remember my grandparents coming to visit us one time when we were staying at the cabin. They came up to fish and they brought lunch it was chicken and they had no way to warm it up so they turned the pickup on and set the chicken on the heater (I'm not sure why that sticks out in my mind). My grandma always had millions of cats at her house. She loved animals. It still amazes me that she always remembered birthdays the way that she did. She had 43 grandkids and 89 great grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren. and always growing up I could count on getting a birthday card from her. Even when I was married and moved away she would send me one. And for Easter you could always count on getting a big plastic easter egg filled with candy from her.


Grandma Shawcroft with Aubrie and Karlee
Byron and Aubrie checking things out

Karlee and her Nay

Aubrie and Byron hamming it up


My family
The kids

Smile!!!


I was really worried about how Aubrie and Karlee were going to handle the funeral. But it didn't seem to bother them at all. When we got to the church for the viewing before the funeral we went in the Relief Society room and went to the very back trying to protect them from everything. Karlee was looking around and then started saying she couldn't see. We asked her what she couldn't she and she said that see couldn't see Grandma Shawcroft in her bed. So my mom took the girls up there. I was afraid of what they might say or how they might react but they were fine. Aubrie seem to have a better understanding then Karlee on the way to the cemetery we talked about how your spirit goes to be with Heavenly Father and how your body stays here. She then proceeded to tell us about being resurrected. Wow she must actually listen to me and the primary teachers. I am so thankful the wonderful family I was born to and for the knowledge that I have that I will be able to see them again and be with them again.






The girls were able to get some riding in while we were there. Thanks Candace.




3 comments:

Elise and Dan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. It sounds like she left you with some great memories! 92? She lived a long life! I hope you are doing ok.

Sandi said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. I hope you're doing OK. I'm glad to hear the girls handeled it good. The faith of children.

Nancy said...

I'm sorry about your Grandma. I loved how you said that you could only have Pepsi at your Grandparents house! That made me remember how I used to love to spend the night with my grandparents on Friday night because they let us watch Dallas and my mom never would let us. Aren't Grandparents the best! HAVE A GREAT TODAY :)