Well March was a very busy month and I have been quite the slacker with my posts. So bear with me. There is going to be a bunch of them. We became chicken farmers. Yes, you read it right. We have chickens. The girls have been wanting more pets. And several of our friends have decided to become self sufficient and raise chickens. So we decided to follow. We found a hatchery online that you could order only female chicks so we placed an order for 7 hens. They ship them through the mail right after they hatch. Well the morning after placing the order the hatchery called to let us know they couldn't send just 7 chicks in the mail so they would be sending 18 rooster chicks along with them at no cost. Angelo asked them what we were going to do with 25 chicks and they said to do with them what we wanted. So in the mail we received a box full of chirping chicks. The girls were very excited to see their babies. We posted and ad on Craig's list for the roosters and they immediately had a home. We have had 2 causalities since they arrived. The first was very traumatic. It was Aubrie's chick named Rose. She was never quite right. I am not sure if she was injured during shipping or if she was just hatched that way. We thought we could nurse her back to health, but it didn't work. After all of the cost and work associated with the chicks so far I have decided that they better start laying golden eggs to make it worth it.
4 months ago








2 comments:
I wish I could see your chicks! That sounds so fun (& way too much work). I miss you & hope everything is going great. Hop over to our blog to see what we are up to. :)
WOW, you're brave! Chickens - sheesh!
Post a Comment