Friday, September 5, 2008

Move over Martha

I am no where near Martha or my Mom. But I am trying to learn. My Mom picked us up a box of peaches so I decided to try my hand at jam. I have never made jam before because my wonderful mother has always done it for us. I am not sure if mine will taste alright or not. I went all over looking for surejell and fruit fresh and couldn't find either. So I have come to the conclusion either I was too late buying my canning supplies or the people of Pueblo really don't can and freeze food, so the stores don't supply them. Anyway on the positive side the jam did set and the lids did seal so I must have done something sort of right. We haven't tasted it yet so time will tell on that. I also froze several bags of peaches for cobblers and zucchini. I have a new appreciation for all the work my mom has done each and every year of my life to make sure our family had fresh yummy food canned and frozen. Thank a Bunch Martha (I mean Mom)!!!!!!!






4 comments:

UreFam said...

You are already Martha! Way to go girl.

Sandi said...

Way to go!! I love canning - it's a lot of work - but it's worth it!! You're awesome!

Unknown said...

You're right about the hard work! Once I froze peaches and after scalding them and peeling them, I just wanted to put them in the sacks, pit and all. That jam looks very professional though. Nice work.

Unknown said...

I am so impressed, you and Lisa have to teach me :) PS your veggies are so yummy, especially the roma tomatoes!